Public Private Partnerships in Infrastructure
In May 2008, USAID/Egypt and the Office of Energy and Infrastructure (E&I) held a two-day workshop in Ain Sokhna, Egypt on “Public Private Partnerships (PPP) in Infrastructure.” The workshop agenda focused on practical steps toward a successful PPP program, and a detailed review of recent successful transactions in water, transport, schools and hospitals.
The goals of the workshop were to examine principles, tools, and approaches for developing PPPs for basic infrastructure services. The workshop also provides lessons learned on the following:
- International best practices in designing and implementing broad, multi-year, and multi-transaction public-private partnership programs for infrastructure development;
- Particular features and case studies on PPP programs and transactions in transport, water & sanitation, solid waste, health, education, housing, and industrial parks/special economic zones;
- Advanced and innovative financial and credit enhancement mechanisms to facilitate private financing and investment in infrastructure development;
- Legal, regulatory, and institutional issues, including the role of governmental PPP units; and
- The role of USAID, other development organizations in promoting and implementing infrastructure PPPs.
- Public-Private Participation in Infrastructure, Allen Eisendrath, Office of Infrastructure & Engineering, U.S. Agency for International Development
- Public-Private-Partnerships: The Partnership Phase, Jill L. Jamieson, BearingPoint
- The Amazon North and Amazon Central Highway Concessions in Peru, Patricio Mansilla and Maria Paula Vargas, Chemonics, Inc.
- The Concession of a New Container Terminal in the Callao Port in Peru, Patricio Mansilla, Chemonics, Inc.
- PPP Case Study: Long-Term Concession for Bourgas and Varna Airports, Bulgaria, David M. Spira, BearingPoint
- International Lessons on Industrial Zone Development: Public Private Partnerships, Jose M. Ceron, BearingPoint
- New Generation Industrial Zone Program: Industrial Parks Development under Public Private Partnership, Ashraf Dowidar and Amr Sina, Industrial Development Authority of Egypt
- Overview on the Development of the Egyptian PPP Program, Rania G. Zayed, Ministry of Finance
- The South Africa PPP Program: The Inkosi Albert Luthuli Hospital Transaction, Maria Paula Vargas, Chemonics Inc.
- Public Private Partnerships: The Case for PPP in Kosovo, Jill L. Jamieson, BearingPoint
- Role of PPP in Water Sector Reform: A Review of Trends, Allen Eisendrath, Office of Infrastructure & Engineering, U.S. Agency for International Development
- Workshop Inventory of Issues, Document
- Doing Privatization Right, Article, Leroy Jones, Yahya Jammal, Nilgün Gökgür and Sunita Kikeri, Public Policy Journal, World Bank, © 2008
- New Zealand’s Experiment in Rail Privatization Comes to a Halt, Financial Times, May 6, 2008
- Invitation for Prequalification Applications Notice, Financial Times, May 13, 2008
- Macquarie Pulls Out Of Toll Road Privatization Bid, Financial Times, May 15, 2008
- Dubai Power Project, Financial Times, May 16, 2008
- Resource Book on PPP Case Studies, European Commission, June 2004